Statistical Aspects of the Microbiological Examination of Foods (3rd Edition) – eBook
- Author: Basil Jarvis
- File Size: 13 MB
- Format: PDF
- Length: 326 pages
- Publisher: Academic Press; 3rd edition
- Publication Date: July 12, 2016
- Language: English
- ASIN: B01HFLCSMO
- ISBN-10: 0128039736, 0128039744
- ISBN-13: 9780128039731, 9780128039748
Statistical Aspects of the Microbiological Examination of Foods, 3rd Edition, (PDF) updates some important statistical procedures following intensive collaborative work by many experts in microbiology and statistics, and corrects typographic and other small errors present in the previous edition. Following a brief introduction to the subject, basic statistical concepts and procedures are described including both theoretical and actual frequency distributions that are associated with the occurrence of microorganisms in foods. This leads to a discussion of the methods for the examination of foods and the sources of statistical and practical errors associated with the methods. Such errors are important in understanding the principles of measurement uncertainty as applied to microbiological data and the approaches to determination of uncertainty.
The ways in which the concept of statistical process control developed many years ago to improve commercial manufacturing processes can be applied to microbiological examination in the laboratory. This is important in ensuring that laboratory results reflect, as precisely as possible, the microbiological status of manufactured products through the concept and practice of laboratory accreditation and proficiency testing. The use of properly validated standard methods of testing and the verification of ‘in house’ methods against internationally validated methods is of increasing importance in ensuring that laboratory results are meaningful in relation to the development of and compliance with established microbiological criteria for foods.
- Offers completely updated chapters and 6 new chapters
- Corrects typographic and other errors present in the previous 2nd edition
- Brings the reader up to date and allows easy access to individual topics in 1 place
- Includes additional tables and figures together with many worked examples to illustrate the use of specific procedures in the analysis of data obtained in the microbiological examination of foods
The final chapter of the ebook, Statistical Aspects of the Microbiological Examination of Foods 3e, reviews the uses of such criteria in relation to the development of and compliance with food safety objectives. Throughout the ebook, the theoretical concepts are illustrated in worked examples using real data obtained in the examination of foods and in research studies concerned with food safety.